4 egg whites, at room temperature
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
300mls thickened cream, whipped, to serve
4 bananas, diagonally sliced
4 large passionfruit, pulp removed
1. Preheat oven to 120°C.
2. Draw a 22cm circle on a piece of non-stick baking paper using a cake pan as a guide. Line a large baking tray with the paper, pencil mark facing down.
3. Use electric hand beaters to whisk the egg whites in a large clean, dry bowl until firm peaks just form. Gradually add the sugar, 2 tbs at a time, whisking well between each addition until thick and glossy.
4. Add the cornflour, vanilla essence and lemon juice and whisk until just combined. Spoon the mixture onto the lined tray and use a spoon to carefully spread the mixture to fill the circle. Smooth the surface.
5. Place in preheated oven and reduce temperature to 100°C. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the meringue is crisp on the outside and a skewer inserted in the centre of the pavlova comes out clean.
6. Leave the oven door ajar and allow the pavlova to cool for 2 hours. Close the oven door and allow the pavlova to cool for 4-5 hours or overnight.
7. To serve, spread the cream over the pavlova. Arrange the banana slices over the cream and spoon the passionfruit pulp over